History of Venice Santa Lucia Railway station

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

The construction of the railway station in Venice determined profound and radical changes that transformed the appearance of the last stretch of the Grand Canal from the point of view of urban planning and architecture.

The complex of buildings that existed was demolished to make way for the station itself and any equipment connected to the new service. Disappeared not only the church of Saint Lucia with its monastery, but the entire neighborhood of houses and palaces, built mostly between the fifteenth and eighteenth centuries who prospect the fondamenta or the internal narrow streets to reach the area behind, still held in gardens, and the last, opposite lagoon edge.

In 1846 the translagoon railway bridge was completed and opened into the city through an area obtained in connection with the landfills. In 1858 the two banks of the Grand Canal were connected by an iron bridge.

The demolition pickaxe, that destroyed an entire area inhabited deleting historical, social and artistic witnesses, stopped in the early days of the building of the station, behind the Church of Saint Lucia, the area behind which became a point of arrival and parking locomotives and wagons. It was clear, however, the intention of acquiring an outlet on the Grand Canal.
Between 1860 and 1861 were in fact demolished. over the Church, the surviving buildings on the fondamenta, to make way for the building of the passengers station, according to a planning solution among the most obvious and less intelligent.

The Albergo Marin is just a few steps from the train station, come visit us!

×