The baicoli are slightly sweet and crunchy biscuits called so by a baker of 700 Venetian for the shape that recall, before being cut into biscuit, a mullet. The preparation is quite long but once the facts are preserved for months. They can, however, also be found in the store and the most famous brand is Colussi which biscuit box is a must to have for each venetian family. They can be accompanied with coffee, eggnog, spiced wine or hot chocolate with cinnamon and nutmeg as it was at the time.
The Venetian gondola is considered the most beautiful boat in the world and universal symbol of the city of Venice. The beauty of the gondola is given by the sinuous and elegant lines, wonderful environment in which it moves, but also by its uniqueness in building: it iis 11 meters long and weighing 600 kg, the result of a construction technique so excellent that it can be steered with agility and ease by one person and with only one oar.
Every detail of the gondola has a specific symbolism, especially metal ones, where it binds the formal elegance with practicality and utility. The iron prow of gondola, called “fero de bow” or “dolfin”, serves to balance the weight of the gondolier and is shaped like a “s” that should simulate the performance of the Grand Canal. Under the main blade has a sort of comb consists of six teeth (tines) that reminds of the six distriscts (“sestieri” in Venetian) of Venice.
The project for the construction of the railway station of Venice Santa Lucia experienced various delays after writing a final draft. The Italian rationalist, the architect Angelo Mazzoni, was the first to develop plans for the station in 1924, studying different solutions for over a decade.
In 1934 there was a competition for the design of the station, which was won by Virgilio Vallot, but his project remained dormant until 1936, when it was decided to entrust the construction of the building for travelers to the company Mazzoni and Vallot (which continued until 1943). The final solution was completed after World War II on the basis of a draft drawn up by the architect Paolo Perilli.
However, the construction of the railway began in 1860. To make room for the station was demolished in 1861 the convent and the church of Saint Lucia.
You know that, although there are 23 tracks, there is no track 20?
The Albergo Marin is just a few steps from the train station, come visit us!